I suggest you ...

Ensure the original author of an article remains

Currently the author or an article changes when someone re-saves it, regardless of the changes made.
Example - a spelling mistake or photos are added to the website, and a second user wants to correct / link the photos, it's that user who appears as the author. Please consider changing.

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Chris Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kirsty Novis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has this been listed as 'completed'? It's certainly not changed for me. Author of news articles does not remain the original person if someone edits to correct typos. Please please can we get this done for news stories - it would make such a difference.

• Kirsty Novis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey - I have the same problem! If I edit typos in news stories, it changes the author to me. It's annoying because I wasn't the author and I don't want to be shown as the author. It's making me hesitate correcting typos, which is insane! Please consider changing this glitch. Thanks.

• Steve Spencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jon - has this actually been implemented as when I go in to news stories others have uploaded to correct typos etc it still changes the author to my name and looks like I uploaded the story? Very frustrating.

• Jeff Gendall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jon,

Is there any update as to when this will be implemented into the News section in particular please?

• Abbey Abbott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with everyone else, everything should be the original person. I for one dont like my stuff being changed and I dont think others should have theirs changed... particularly as its me most of the time correcting small typos!! Looks like Im doing everything I we dont want that, we think the beauty of the site is the fact that it can be contributed to and edited by many of the club members

• Mark Stanley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi

Please expand to events, essentailly any free form text box where the Author is displayed

Mark
    noting news already covered in addditional feature request

• James Weedon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is possibly scope creep ... but it would be nice if the Webmaster could create news articles and then attribute ownership to someone else. For example, our Chairman tends to email me news to upload rather than doing it himself, so it would be good if I could create the article and then set him as the author for the same reasons given before (i.e. otherwise it looks like everything is from me).

• Charlie Pearson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jon

I agree with Chris - corrections are often needed to other things like 'Team News' - one of us often adds a photo or picture to another's item, etc, so I would make it universal: the originator is credited and the amenders or embelishers are not.

• Chris Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Jon. I think all news articles should have the same structure really. As the guys have mentioned already, correction of typos / addition of photos etc are small tasks which shouldn't mean the person editing the article is credited. It's all about ensuring the original author stays as the one listed.

Any news on this? It would be great to be able to tweak content without it looking like you are the only one using the site!

• Club Chair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its all been said already. As principal webmaster I often go back and tidy up other peoples postings but I do not want to then be credited as the author.

• Charlie Pearson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very important!

It is essential that Admins can amend items/articles, but it does then look as if they are the only ones posting on the site.

I added an image to someone else's News the other day and suddenly became the author. The real author was not pleased!

This would be a great enhancement. When I edit news articles to correct typos, spelling mistakes or to improve layout it ends up looking like I posted the original article which is demotivating for people uploading to the site. It also makes it look like I am the only posting on the site!

Webmasters should be able to edit articles without the ownership changing to them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base