I suggest you ...

Embed videos from other sites like YouTube

We have already posted some of our videos on YouTube and so have some of our players/members. Would be good to be able to embed these existing videos in the Video section of Pitchero and would be a lot quicker than having to encode all the videos again from scratch.

97 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Christian Sangiuseppe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminDaniel Greenhalgh (Online Community Manager, Pitchero) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The YouTube embed facility will help clubs that upload large video files to YouTube on a regular basis.

All clubs not on the Pro package will still be able to upload videos through the Pitchero video system for free - no matter which package the club is on.

If anyone has any trouble with the YouTube or Pitchero Video systems, just drop an email to support@pitchero.com.

Thanks,
    Dan

• Mark Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Pro package is ridiculously too expensive for most clubs to bother with, to be honest. We're a charitable body that cannot waste money on something like that. We are already having a Committee Meeting to debate whether to stick with Pitchero or not because of the new charges.

If anyone wants to upload a Youtube video, copy the URL, go to http://keepvid.com, insert the URL and download the actual video file and then upload it into the Pitchero site. It's a fiddly process but that's what Pitchero want you to do...

Embedding a video / Youtube link would be much easier if there weren't the restraints imposed by Pitchero but then if a competitor offered this functionality for free, Pitchero would soon have to change their ways.

• Rod Nicolson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not being able to embed videos from YouTube is dumb. More and more people use video for everything, having video brings people to your site, more people on your site drives advertising or subscriptions. Please sort this out Pitchero. We have a message to our club from an international player that I can't post on the club pages because it's on YouTube.

• Dominic Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been struggling to get videos to upload. I have been looking ot put highlights up since the start of the season but it never seems to work.

I've tried with the videos encoded in both mp4 and wmv and both fail. THe file sizes come in at 246MB and 241 MB respectively. In addition I've tried dropping the quality right down and up loading a small 76MB wmv and mp4 file. Again, upload does not complete.

I've tried this one both a Windows 8 and Windows 7 machine at home as well a Windows 7 at work. Nothing seems to make a difference and I've got no response from my email to support, nor a tweet to the support team.

Any help?

• David Webber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Poor response from Pitchero on this one. Yes, of course you're reluctant to allow video embedding from sites such as YouTube. It not only means ads you don't get revenue for could be displayed, but more than likely people will click to view on the video site concerned and therefore navigate away from Pitchero...

• Michael Griffin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Michael Griffin

250Mb is still very tight as teams are scoring more goals 250Mb limits you to show only Goals scored. spoils it for showing other highlights during a game. a 6 to 7 minuet slot would be great then there would be no need to embed youtube files, why send your members to other sites

Kind Regards

MG

• stephen lynch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slightly bemused that this option is not available, having moved from a custom site to Pitchero, I'm perplexed by the lack of image/video integration. Surely just an HTLM snippet tool would work to start with. Why do I fear this will just be added to the 'paid for' option. :( sad face

• Jim Reilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have just become an Official RFU O2 touch Centre and I would really like to embed a series of videos from the RFU.com site into our Touch Rugby section of the website, so new players can watch a series of short videos that explain the rules. The RFU make the embed codes available so this would be really easy if we could just drop the code into the video section of the website.
    Thanks for your help!

• Mark Roskilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

250Mb for a video of decent quality is no where near enough.
    Makes much more sense to link to YouTube where HD videos of a decent length can be posted

• Kingstonian FC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We already have an established channel on YouTube, which allows unlimited upload size etc, and are committed to that. Pitchero cannot compete with YouTube, and I don't expect it to, but it should make adding some sort of integration a priority.

• Mike Sheridan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with Andy Lelean's post below.

Embedding audio and video is a pretty basic requirement now, and the network loses traffic when we send people directly to a youtube channel instead of to an embedded video on our official site. Our videographer can get a ten minute highlights package onto youtube within hours of the final whistle, yet the 100mb limit and encoding wait means the process takes much longer on pitchero.

I understand the reasons for the "review" system for videos but the system is flawed and causes unnecessary delays and duplication of content, it would be far better to allow clubs to control their own content and suspend the ones that break the rules as/when they occur.

By and large we are happy with the PH system but integration into social media channels (such as YouTube) is a weak area at the moment - a club's official website is not an island and a share button for twitter/FB is no longer sufficient!

• Andy Lelean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should be able to embed html code for any external content that we want to.
    It's our site, not yours.

Thanks

• Web Master commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this would be great. The encoding time and moderation wait is too slow on PitchHero plus the quality and size of file available on you tube is much greater. It would also save pitch hero time and money as you wouldn't need to host the video files.

• Paul Seeley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a freelance person who goes around doing match highlights of various matches in our area (www.footballchaos.com), our club was featured five times last season and I would love to be able to link to these You Tube videos to the Video Section and embed them in articles as I don't have access to the originals.

The ability to embed Audio Content also gets my thumbs up.

• Accross Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

or be able to embad a video clip into the news section. e.g. interview from ...... and it loads in the space below, rather than having to say to people they then have to go to the video section to watch it

• Gary Brigden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You would get my vote on that, we often load our club videos onto You Tube, and then have to reload them onto pitchero, which is a bit of a pain.

On a similar theme, we have just started using Audioboo to record post-match interviews with our manager, and aside from linking to the relevant boo - there is no way to load onto the site.

Having the ability to embed this content would really help.

Feedback and Knowledge Base