I suggest you ...

remove the activity feed on the main page

Pitchero did a great thing setting up the poll's that you can have on the front page but then hides it below the activity feed. we do not need this it adds nothing to the website if someone comes along and looks at the site why does he care what I did 21 days ago when I added a result.

247 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Craig Gealy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

79 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Simon Redsull commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this idea but only if it is replaced with something else. What about club shop items which would help boost revenue especially as it is on the front page.

• Mathew Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Andrew below...

As I am the only webmaster on the account it is just me that appears on the activity feed.

A better solution would be to email the webmasters with an activity report at the end of each week.

• Tony Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is this still under review....is there any way you can give the webmaster the option to turn the activity feed on and off when they want to or make it so that after 1 week the activity posts are deleted

• Andrew Painten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow! This request has been under review for a long time. As I'm the main person to post to our site, you just get my picture repeated.

• Andy Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Activity Feed pushes the Latest Poll to the bottom, perhaps it could be relocated or as above the activity feed could be reduced

• Lincoln Christer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi

I have no problem with the activity feed in principal its just the number of items in it and the length it then becomes. If it was reduced to say six it would look more professional.

I would however like to see the club news section increased to say five items from the current 3 its set at... A lot of us smaller clubs do 1-2 entries per week and may have 4 items to add so one drops to the smaller single line.

Food for thought

• Site Manager commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure if it's been suggested before but can't we have a one-line "site last updated..." with the date of the last change? Much better than the whole activity feed.

The feed serves no purpose than to let users know when the site was last updated. All they actually need is a single line to let them know if the site is up-to-date.

Removing the activity feed would also allow Pitchero to sell more advertising space and get rid of the new monster banner advert at the top of the sites.

• Graeme Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great to be able to control this feature... either relocate the feed under the Polls or allow us to switch the feed on/off or show fewer entries... my Polls are lost off the bottom of my page and people don't know they are there!

• James Stott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs reviewing it clutters the site up and should have an option to turn it off. Please get it reviewed!

• Martyn Sexton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jon,

Would love an update on what is happening with non revenue making changes. We did a survey a long time ago, and there are nearly 400 suggestions on these pages.

What updates are planned? I'd hate to see things go stale, as it's spoiling a good service.

• Martin Dyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree - ours is a cricket site, the activity feeds needs to be restricted to say the last 2 or 3 as these will be relevant.
    We gave up on polls along time ago as no one saw them at the bottpm of the page!!

• mike yeats commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This review seems to run and run, all last season as far as I remember, I don't feel any need for it and as has been said before, it hides the poll. Move the poll to the top, and give the web master the option to turn it off, simple and everyone happy.

• Charlie Pearson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've seen Ian's comments below and I'm not sure why he is anti the News Feed.

1. Our teams do look at it when they go onto our home page and displaying the 'author's' name gives a first indication of whether the feed is for them or not , as most authors are recognisable as belonging to a particular club, to a group, or to the whole club(we are a rugby club with 5 senior sides, 6 junior sides, 7 minis sides, and touch- and ladies sides too, so each member of a particular team needs something to latch onto).

2. I'm not sure why we need a photo of the author, but it would be good if there was the ability to add either the author's photo, or a photo relating to the news item.

3. If some clubs don't like the news feed, would it be possible to just turn this off on their home page (perhaps by their club webmaster)?

In summary: don't delete it, but if possible make it a bit more customisable......

• WHRFC PR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've read through & maybe it's useful to see 'what's new' but I don't like the way it says who made the update, it adds nothing at all. so personally I'd like the news feed gone but as a halfway house you could just have the actual 'info' rather than who put it on.

• Andy Goodbourn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't just remove it - that won't please everyone - make it customizable, so the webmaster can CHOOSE whether to have it on the homepage or not (personally, I would not but might well show it elsewhere if that were an option)

• lee addison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree, i wish to keep it, however to try and please everyone, how about making the amount of posts smaller i.e. remove half the amount shown.

its great for my team as that is what they look at the most.

I have 2 teams, stokesley sports club and Lakes United FC, both are used every day.

Regards

• David Hardy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've changed my mind and want to keep it now! Just the option to switch on or off would be good

• Charlie Pearson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do you vote to save/keep the Activity Feed? I can see that you can vote to remove it, but would I need to start another thread voting to keep it, or would I need to wait until it's removed before I could vote to have it reinstated?

To those people who comment that there are 152 votes in favour - implied as some kind of major majority - how do you know that there would not be more wanting to keep it if they knew it was under threat?

I think it's very useful on our club site. It is very quickly refreshed.

I don't know about polls, as I don't think they appear on our site, but a re-arrangement of the page would seem to be more equitable than simply removing something because you prefer something else.

• WHRFC PR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good call, I don't see the point in showing a list of who updated what, the same can be said for posting photos, not sure why we need to know who posted them really.

• Peter Edmonds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The activity feed is useful to show visitors the latest items, which could be easily missed on a site like ours with a large number of teams, unlike some of your correpondents our activities are rarely more that a few days old.

Feedback and Knowledge Base